Last year, in May 2016 to be a bit more precise I published my first book named: Inside Citrix – The FlexCast Management Architecture. Since than I have had a ton of positive feedback and reactions, through Twitter, facebook, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, you name it. It goes without saying that all this made me a very happy man. Next to the feedback I also received a bunch of questions, ranging from the amount of books sold to how applicable the content is today with the rapid release cycle Citrix is currently maintaining. In this (short) post I’ll try to answer all of the most frequently asked questions throughout the last six months , so I can also refer people back to this post in the (near) future.
- How many books have you sold up till now? — For those of you who are wondering, I’ve sold around 830 copies so far — A combination of paperbacks and Kindles (over 200). This averages, give or take 90 books per month. Wow! I mean, it’s a book on Citrix, which has a much smaller ‘fan’ base than let’s say Microsoft and/or VMware, and even for Citrix it’s a very specific topic that I’m highlighting. It’s also definitely not an install and configure manual, one of the most popular formats out there. What’s also great is that I’m still getting one or multiple orders on a (almost) daily basis!
- I would like to order a copy, where can I get/oder one? — The book is only available through the (well-known) Amazon channels, both paperback and Kindle. Or just go here.
- I’m from India and I would like to get a paperback version of your book but I do not see it on Amazon.in, when will it become available? — Never, is my best guess. There is no paperback edition available in India. Nothing I can do about that either, all up to Amazon. However, Amazon does offer a free Kindle reader for all platforms out there, including Mac, iOS, Android, Windows etc. so you do not have to buy a Kindle reader per se. I have tried it myself and it works great.
- Can I get a .PDF version of your book? — No, there is no public .PDF version available. Please stop asking, I won’t send you one.
- What is your targeted audience? — The book is meant for the novice as well as more advanced Citrix professional, or any IT specialist who would like to learn more on Citrix’s flagship products, XenDesktop and XenApp (although it covers a bunch of other related products and technologies as well). It covers basic information as well more advanced topics including multiple deep(er) dives.
- So even if I am still relatively new to Citrix I will learn something from it? — Yes, even if you are just starting out with Citrix you will benefit from this book. It might also be useful if you are studying for a Citrix XenDesktop/XenApp exam.
- What version(s)/edition(s) of XenDesktop/XenApp do you cover? — Since it is written around the FlexCast Management Architecture it primarily focuses on the 7.x versions of Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp. Though some 6.5 content is discussed as well.
- Is the content a 100% technical? — No, the book includes multiple sections on Citrix product and company history as well.
- With all the new versions of XD and XA coming out every three to four months, is the book still relevant? — Yes, it is and will continue to be for multiple years to come. While Citrix keeps on releasing new versions of both XenDesktop and XenApp, up to 80% of the content is still relevant when compared to, let’s say version 7.11 and 7.12 — perhaps even more. Besides that, even some of the ‘outdated’ sections will still teach you something new about the evolution both products have gone (and are still going) through. Not that many companies will upgrade right away once a new(er) version comes out, so in most cases the content will be a 100% valid, still. And let’s not forget about the Long Term Service Release, which is currently version 7.6. That’s right, a 100% coverage. Also, on basvankaam.com I am constantly writing about the latest changes and new features wihtin XenDesktop and XenApp.
- How is/was the book received by your peers and readers in general? — To give you an idea, up till now I have exclusively received 5 star review ratings (12 in total) on various Amazon channels, which is the highest you can get, in case you didn’t know :) See the image below as well.
- Are you thinking about writing a follow up? — Yes, I am thinking about writing an updated version (second edition). But I need to get things sorted first. I am a bit occupied at the moment.
- The FMA makes a great topic for discussion and presentations, have you ever presented on it? — Yes, I have presented on and around the book (FMA services) multiple times and am willing to do so in the future as well. Just ask, and I’m sure we can work something out.
Any other questions? Let me know so I can add them to the list.